Here is the second half of my blog post on “My Tips to a Healthier Lifestyle”. To read the first half on healthy eating you can click here.
As I said before you need to be eating healthy AND working out to live the ultimate healthy lifestyle! Yes, the hardest thing about exercise is to start doing it, but once you are exercising regularly, the hardest thing to do is to stop – trust me, I’m “addicted”. I want you to put everything you have into every single workout session. You can’t expect full results if you only put in half the work. So dust off your running shoes and begin your journey to a healthier lifestyle today!
Here are my top 8 tips that work for me:
- Starting slow > fast. Start slowly and take baby sets when beginning your transformation. When you start fast you’re more likely to burnout quicker. You don’t need to go from being a couch potato to an all star athlete in one week. When working your way up to your goals you will notice more improvement.
- Intensity not duration. It is more effective to train hard for a short period of time than training for a long period of time with sub-maximal effort. I go in with a plan, get the job done, and get out.
- Cardio. HIIT cardio or steady state cardio? The most efficient type of cardio and my absolute favourite is HIIT – High Intensity Interval Training. It is a workout that alternates between intense bursts of activities and fixed periods of less-intense activity. Why HIIT? It burns more calories and fat, and it is less time consuming than steady state cardio!
- Lifting weights. Cardio alone is not the answer to reach your goal body. If you also want to be toned and see definition, do not be afraid of weights. They will not make you look bulky. I, personally, do high reps with less weight and I perform 3 sets of every exercise.
- Workout classes. Keep your workouts exciting! I love participating in all sorts of different workout classes at my gym. This way you don’t get bored with doing the same workout over and over again. I join classes such as Zumba, step, spin, yoga fitness, body sculpt and boxfit. Change it up every once and a while to make it more fun.
- At home workouts. No gym membership? No equipment? No problem. I actually love using my body weight when working out. You can find tons of home workout youtube videos or DVD’s where you can do full body workouts without using any equipment!
- Rest day. You don’t want to overtrain. Rest is physically necessary so that the muscles repair, rebuild and strengthen. You must have one rest day a week and the other rest days you will determine when listening to your body.
- Yoga. A big important part of your transformation is being connected with your body AND mind. Remember, stress is a big factor when dealing with body issues. Find inner peace and you will be a happier person which will increase your energy levels and reduce the stress in your life.
One last tip: Don’t give yourself a deadline. Healthy living is a lifestyle – it doesn’t stop when you reach your goals. Make that summer body an everyday body. I’m not telling you it’s going to be easy, I’m telling you it’s going to be worth it! Enjoy every second of your journey. Beach season and more importantly, life, is waiting for you! There is no better time than to start your new lifestyle today.
Mackenzie White, Miss Teen Niagara Region-World 2013
Facebook Fan Page: https://www.facebook.com/MissTeenNiagara