2013 Miss Teen Canada – World Blog Network Assignment Number Two
The Greatest Tourist Attraction in my Region
That “something special” of the Niagara Region that intrigues locals and tourists from around the world is the the Skylon Tower. The Skylon Tower is located in Niagara Falls, Canada. It is Niagara’s best attraction and yes, I can vow for that myself! It is well known as the famous landmark next to the Niagara Falls. The Skylon Tower offers fine dining, family restaurant selection, entertainment and discount shopping. It is also an observation tower that overlooks both the American Falls and the Canadian Falls. The Ride-to-the-Top and indoor/outdoor observation deck is definitely a favourite. As you can see on the picture to the right there is a “Yellow Bug Elevator” going up and down the side of the Skylon Tower. In fact, you can ride to the top for FREE if you dine at the Skylon – so be sure to make reservations!
The Skylon Tower is Niagara Falls’ best dining value. It offers 2 great levels of Niagara fine dining – both 775 feet above the Falls! You can choose form the world-famous Revolving Dining Room Restaurant which serves award-winning continental cuisine or select the family-affordable Summit Suite Buffet Dining Room restaurant. In the Revolving Dining Room you can enjoy and relax as you revolve silently 360 degrees once each hour. If you dine by night you’ll “discover the magic of the Falls illumination, dazzling city lights below and seasonal Falls fireworks”.
I chose to write about the Skylon Tower instead of the Falls, which is one of the seven natural wonders of the world, because I have actually “experienced” the Skylon Tower, unlike just “looking” at the Falls. So this way, I can write an honest review of my experience at my own regions hotspot. Two years ago for my 17th birthday, myself and two friends decided to go to the Skylon Tower for dinner and then go out on the town to Clifton Hill to celebrate! I chose the Sylon Tower for dinner because it seemed like something fun and different that you can’t experience at any other restaurant in the Niagara Region. I was VERY happy with my decision, as it was an unforgettable time with such a breathtaking view. Not only was the view incredible, but the food was amazing! We had friendly waiters and received our meals quickly. Our meals definitely all tasted like award-winning cuisine. The price was a little over what most 17 year olds usually pay for a meal but it was well worth it!!! There were no complaints coming from us. Especially when we got to the dessert! How could I say no to cheesecake on my birthday!?
We made sure our reservations were early enough that it was still daylight, that way we saw the entire area in the light of day, and we were still there for the sunset, which was spectacular, and when it was dark out it made the lighting of the Falls wonderful to see. I couldn’t have chosen a better place to spend my 17th birthday with my two best friends. I could not imagine going to Niagara Falls and not having the exclusive experience of the Skylon Tower at least once.
Some fun facts and history about the Skylon:
- Construction of the Skylon began in May 1964. The tower was opened on October 6, 1965.
- The tower features three outside mounted “Yellow Bug” elevators. At the time of their construction they were the first such elevators in Canada. They can carry passengers to the top of the tower in 52 seconds.
- The total height of tower from base to top of flashing beacon is 520 feet (160m).
- The Revolving Dining Room seats 276 people and revolves once every hour. An observation deck sits at the tower’s summit. The base of the tower features a number of gift shops, fast food restaurants and a large amusement arcade.
- Did you know that on June 21, 1985 two men parachuted from the top of the observation deck of the Skylon Tower to the ground below? Thankfully no one was injured, but it became popular for a while, as thrill seekers came to follow this sport known as base jumping.
To visit the Skylon Tower and experience the unforgettable attraction for yourself, it is located at 5200 Robinson Street, Niagara Falls, ON, Canada. Thank you Niagara Falls for sponsoring the Miss Teen Canada-World 2013 second blog challenge.